Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My first weeks!

First off, my apologies for not keeping up this blog as well as I should have done. I'll try to better my life from now on and at least post something once a week. Last time I was writing at 3:30 in the morning because my jetlag was keeping me up. Thankfully, that was the last night I experienced my jetlag that severe. The second week of my stay here in Taiwan meant the start of my classes.

On Monday morning I had Cross Cultural Management. A very interesting course, mainly for international students, that is all about the definition of culture and how it affects business relationships and the management structure in a company. Every week there is a certain topic on which the lecturer will give us an introduction, and afterwards we get divided into groups and discuss the lecture's content from our own culture's point of view. This gives an interesting insight in other cultures and how being from another country can really make for a very different way of looking at certain things. It has also once again made it very clear that the differences between cultures within Europe can be very large, which is funny considering the fact that in other parts of the world Europe is often mentioned as just that; Europe. Whereas Europe is only a continent home to a large amount of cultures and sometimes very different values and norms.

On Monday afternoon I had a class called Application of Financial Modeling. This class, like the name suggests is all about applying financial models in a practical way. We learn how to analyse financial problems and how to solve them using the magical software that is Excel. I knew the basics of Excel before starting this course, but I soon found out that there is so much more to that program than I had expected. Our teacher is a true pro and seems to actually be in love with Excel. He always, very proudly and enthusiastically , shows us all the things he has made using Excel. One of which was a sort of game for his daughter meant for studying English. Later I found out that his daughter is very young still and the poor girl still had to sit behind the computer to study her English. Which is apparently quite common here in Taiwan. A lot of parents want their children to study English from a very early age onwards.

This brings me to a class I have on Wednesday morning, this one is called English Teaching for Children and it is meant for people who would like to teach English to children here in Taiwan or in Mainland China. In this class I found out that a lot of children get sent to summer school to learn English at a very young age, and the way they are taught English is the same way we learn foreign languages in high school in The Netherlands. It's a lot of plain vocabulary and grammar. This is of course not the best way to teach children a new language. Children this young still have the ability to pick up a new language fairly quickly and they should be taught in a more childlike way. By using stories and songs for examples, by playing games, by doing a small play in English etc. They learn the language by hearing it, being around it, using it in a playful manner. And this course emphasizes that and gives us a lot of insights in how children can learn a new languages and actually teaches us practical things to teach ourselves.Perhaps I will someday come back here, or go to Mainland China, to teach English.

My last "normal" (non-Chinese) class is Managing Global Acquisitions and Mergers. This class uses a lot of very up to date cases to teach us all about how mergers and acquisitions work, what the motives and goals may be, and also how things can go wrong. The class is taught by a very interesting professor. And by interesting I don't just mean he's interesting to listen to. He is an interesting personality. His "English" name is Carlos. He is quite an achieved businessman and he is a great fan of taking pictures of his students during class and having birthday parties in the classroom. Also, selfies! The guy loves selfies! Last class he also seemed to have a certain preference for Shakira songs. Maybe it's because of his latino western name, or maybe just because he likes that her hips don't lie. Who knows..

In the second week my Chinese courses finally started as well, and these are an entirely different story. These courses are probably the single most important reason I went here in the first place and it's definitely a challenge to start learning this language. The grammar is not complicated at all, or so I've heard. For example, they don't really conjugate verbs. They don't even distinguish between present or past, you just use a time indicator in the sentence to indicate when it took place. But I can tell you right now, the pronunciation more than makes up for the easiness of the grammar. Boy oh boy, my poor western brain can't handle all those different tones. Especially when people speak really fast I can't even hear them using the tones. How am I ever supposed to pronounce things right when trying to speak fast, I can hardly manage it when speaking sound by sound. BUT, I will not give up. I still have four months left here and I intend to get the basics of Chinese down before I go back to the Netherlands. I will keep you updated on my progress. And my inevitable struggles of course...

Now that we've gotten the academic part out of the way, let's move on to the real reason I'm here. SIGHTSEEINGG! So far I must admit I haven't really seen as much as I would've wanted to. In the first week we went looking for a toilet restaurant, this restaurant apparently serves all foods and drinks in toilets. Which sounds disgusting and will probably make it impossible for me to properly enjoy my meal, but I want to try it nevertheless. Unfortunately, when we got there the restaurant was under construction. I am definitely going back though! Instead we went to a Korean restaurant which where I had some very nice seafood kind of soup and afterwards we explored the Ximen area (a commercial district in Taipei).

I also climbed the Elephant Mountain, where I took some beautiful pictures of Taipei at night.
View from Elephant Mountain
Last weekend I went on a surfing trip organized by a local student here, especially for the exchange students. We went to the Yilan district on the east coast of Taiwan, to Wai'ao Beach. A beautiful black sand beach, that was surprisingly quiet on the day we were there. We had rented a tourbus to get there, which took about 2.5 hours due to heavy traffic (apparently the east coast is a popular weekend getaway for a lot of people in Taipei). Since this was a surfing trip I actually went surfing for the first time in my life. I rented a board at the surfing place on the beach and took a two hour class. The surfing was a lot of fun to do, but very hard and even more exhausting. After the two hour class I was just drained. Not only because it's a lot of paddling and moving in water, but also because most of the time I went down hard and being thrown under water again and again is very tiring haha. Luckily though it wasn't all bad, I managed to catch a few good waves and actually managed to stand on my board!

Wai'ao Beach
As you might have seen on facebook I also managed to get myself a bike. I ended up not buying a second hand one, but a new one. Because for the second hand bike auction you had to get up at 4am to get one and I was not about to do that. There are limits to my thriftiness. On this bike I have undertaken two cycling trips. The first one was to Da'an Park, a park close to the university, and to Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall. The Memorial Hall was immense as you can see from the picture below and it's really humbling to stand in front of such a vast building.
CKS Memorial Hall
CKS Statue
CKS Memorial Hall
The second cycling trip was down the river with a group of people to the Bitan Suspension Bridge. That was a really fun day and the parks and bike lanes down the riverside are beautiful and really well maintained. One of the things I want to try doing as well is cycling all the down the river to the northern most point, Tamsui. It is about a five hour ride, but apparently a very beautiful one. 

Bitan Suspension Bridge

Near Bitan Suspension Bridge

Bitan Suspension Bridge

This blog post has become waaaaay too long, sorry for that. And I haven't even told you everything there is to tell! The only way to solve this problem I guess, is to write these posts more often. Which I hopefully will start doing starting from now!



1 comment:

  1. Wat een leuk geschreven verhaal van al je belevenissen tot nu toe. Heel leuk om te lezen, kan niet wachten op het volgende deel.

    ReplyDelete